Emergency Room: Dental Extraction For Extreme Toothache4 min read
deIs it possible to have emergency room dental extraction? What do you consider as dental emergencies? Dental extractions are necessary, especially if the tooth condition severely causes discomfort and pain. Dental problems progress quickly at times. It would be best not to wait for that point in time. You can contact Dental 266’s Burwood clinic if you need emergency help.
Common considered dental emergencies
Generally speaking, they consider any dental condition as an emergency case if it requires immediate treatment. These emergency conditions include the following.
- Knocked-out tooth: On the condition that your tooth is knocked out, your dentist can still reinsert and preserve your tooth. You have to carefully pick up your tooth, rinse it and put it in a small container. Make sure not to touch the tooth root. Head on to the dentist immediately to increase the probability that they can save your knocked-out tooth.
- Cracked or chipped tooth: If the chip or crack in your tooth causes you severe pain or causes trauma inside your mouth, it is an emergency case. In case of swelling, you can apply a cold compress to the outer part of your cheek to reduce it. Do this while heading to your dentist.
- Abscessed tooth: This condition is severe and can be potentially life-threatening. A dental abscess can cause you fever, tooth sensitivity, persistent toothache, lymph nodes in the neck, swelling or bump in the gums. Therefore, a dental abscess is an emergency condition. It can even cause an infection that can spread into your jaw, surrounding tissue, and probably other areas of your body.
- Facial injury or fractures: If you are into an accident that provided you facial injuries, this is an emergency condition. You will need immediate treatment so that the chances to save your teeth will increase.
You don’t have to consider it a dental emergency if your dental conditions can still wait to have treatment or work it out with home remedies. However, what if your dental emergency occurred at a time your dentist is not available? Can you proceed to the emergency room to have dental extraction? Let’s check if that is possible.
Emergency room for dental extraction?
Generally speaking, emergency rooms are not eligible to provide emergency dentistry. Hospital emergency rooms can only do you a little favor. They can only offer antibiotics or pain medication. The staff inside the emergency rooms can only stabilize the condition temporarily. But then again, they will still contact a dentist.
Hospital emergency rooms don’t usually have a resident dentist in it. Staffs inside a hospital emergency room cannot perform emergency tooth extraction or any other dental care. It would turn out as an illegal practice since only the dentists can do those procedures.
Given these points, choose an emergency room only if you cannot reach your dentist.
Emergency dental clinics
On the positive side, there are dental clinics who provide dental services beyond office hours. Additionally, some dental clinics work 24 hours. During this period, they have available specialized staffs to address emergency dental conditions.
These emergency dental clinics allow you to come by without needing to make an appointment. They have staffs trained to handle dental emergency cases. We all know that emergencies can occur at any time of the day or night.
It would be better to know emergency dental clinics near you to run immediately in situations like these. Having this option in hand will lessen your worries in case oral emergencies occur.
On the other hand, it is essential to consider that the clinic you’ll get yourself into is well-trusted to prevent other severe dental problems. Oral emergencies can be challenging to handle. So, choose emergency dental clinics very well.
It would also help to check beforehand. This way, if you’ll have an emergency, it will not worry you to where you should go.
Ways to prevent potential emergencies
You only have to do necessary preventive measures to avoid you from having dental emergencies. Below are the preventive measures that will not take much of your time.
- Stay pro-active in doing proper oral hygiene. Brushing, flossing and use of mouthwash regularly will save you from potential dental emergencies. You only have to choose high-quality dental tools for this.
- Eat healthy foods to support the nutrients needed for stronger teeth. Aside from that, it is not only for your dental health but also covers your overall health. A good flow of nutrients in the body secure better functions.
- Visit your dentist regularly. They are the best persons to assist you with your dental needs. A regular visit to your dentist will help with the early detection of dental concerns. In effect, they can immediately provide you with the treatment you needed.
Emergencies can happen anytime. It would be best to become knowledgeable about how to act during these conditions in the long run.