Are you afraid of infection? Do you fear it will occur after undergoing a treatment or procedure? Is it possible? What can you do to prevent the occurrence of infection? Visit your dentist twice a year. You’ll fear nothing for your oral health with the help of your trusted dental team. Epping’s trusted clinic, Lyndarum Dentist, offers quality dental services at an affordable price. Check out their website today if you want to schedule a consultation.
What is a dental bridge?
The dentists are using a dental bridge to replace one or more missing teeth. Dental bridges help restore the bite and the natural facial feature. The dental bridges prevent the movement of the remaining teeth due to a missing tooth. The dental bridge can also restore the usual support coming from the jawbone. A missing tooth may lead to misalignment of the jaws.
Is it possible for the infection to occur under a dental bridge?
Infection is quick when it comes to our teeth. If you have dental issues and you did not manage to have it treated right away, it can lead to serious oral problems.
Now, it happened that you had a missing tooth and undergone dental bridge procedure. Is it possible to still get an infection, specifically the dental bridge? If we will be speaking of the dental bridge, the answer is no. Dental bridges cannot be infected. However, this does not mean that you are free and no longer vulnerable to infection.
Regardless of having a dental bridge, it does not mean you will no longer have an infection. The other natural teeth under the dental bridge are still prone to infection. Infection can start from the tiny bits of food stuck between the natural teeth and a poorly fitted dental bridge. This set-up can lead to having tooth decay and gum disease.
A poorly fitted dental bridge also results to feeling pain in the long run. It may cause discomfort when chewing. There are different causes of why bridges fail and results as poor fitting. This ill-fitting is indeed a fault on the side of your dentist, and you can go back to have it fixed.
What are the symptoms of infection under a dental bridge?
There are symptoms that you can take a look at to check if you have an infection under your dental bridge. We have listed some of them below.
- Bad breath: You may encounter a foul smell coming out from your mouth. Bad breath is the usual side-effect if the dental bridge is not fitted correctly. Aside from that, it also comes out as a side-effect of not observing proper oral hygiene and an unbalanced diet.
- Discomfort: With attention to an ill-fitted dental bridge, this is where the affected person feels pain and discomfort. It will be hard for the person with an ill-fitted dental bridge to eat appropriately. They may experience higher sensitivity to hot or cold food and drinks.
- Loose dental bridge: It is also a factor in experiencing discomfort. If the dental bridges are not firmly attached, infections can quickly come out and still affects the artificial teeth. Infections are the results of having tooth decay and gum disease, thus, making the dental bridge loosen from its original position.
You do not have to wait for these symptoms to level up. You have to immediately proceed to your dentist to be able to have it treated right away. It may be tolerable for now, but in the long run, it may be a manifestation of oral health problems such as severe tooth decay, extensive gum disease, the spread of infection to the whole mouth and other parts of the body.
Ill-fitted dental bridges countermeasures
By the time that the dentist proves that there is an ill-fitted dental bridge, they can apply some of the countermeasures below to treat the condition.
- Root canal therapy: The dentists use this treatment to remove the pulp affected by the infection. They intend to use this treatment to eliminate bacteria that infects the root canal. The dentists will clean and disinfect the root canals using special tools, then shape it accordingly. The dentists will apply the filling to seal the space developed from the root canal therapy. Root canal treatment is the only option to choose if the pulp is already infected and damaged.
- Dental filling: The dentists remove the decayed area and seal it using filling materials. The damage parts of the tooth are being removed. The area is also being cleaned to remove the remaining bacteria or tooth residues.
- Tooth extraction: The dentists perform this action if the teeth can no longer be restored. The dentists will permanently remove the affected tooth.
- Prescribe antibiotics: Based on your condition, the dentists may prescribe the intake of antibiotics. There are infections curable by antibiotics.
- Provision of new bridges: The dentists will have to replace the ill-fitted dental bridges, especially if it is diagnosed to be the cause of the infection.
These countermeasures are mere options right after infection occurs. However, there are things we can do in order for us not to reach this point.
Prevention is better than cure
- Brush your teeth regularly.
- Conduct flossing of your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with a mouth wash.
- Limit yourself from eating sugary foods and drinks.
- Regularly visit your dentist. The first thing to remember, choose a highly-recommended dentist to address your oral health problems.
There is always an easier way to keep your teeth and your artificial teeth in good shape. You just have to ensure doing good oral hygiene to prevent an infection from occurring. Sometimes, we always thought our teeth are in good condition. However, there can be an illness lying beneath your tooth that only a dentist can detect.
Never fear making an appointment with your dentist. They are trained and educated to perform oral health care services to you. Their number one goal in their profession is to provide oral health service to their patients and restore a healthy, brighter smile.
Do not let an infection overcome your health condition. Some preventive measures and treatments can be provided to you by your dentists. It only takes a matter of setting your appointment with them. It wouldn’t take much of your time if you scheduled it early.