Senior exercises at home are essential to help older adults stay fit and healthy. As people age, the body tends to be at higher risk of developing various diseases. To prevent this from happening, doing regular exercises will help. Engaging in a fitness routine can help with weight management and heart diseases and subsequently lead to a higher life expectancy.
Senior exercises at home
As we age, mobility problems usually occur and affect a person’s independence, heart, bones, and even mood. Aging is a natural phenomenon that we cannot control. However, we can do something about it to reduce its weakening effects.
Besides maintaining good lifestyle habits, exercising is also one of the routines that an individual should keep. It is one of the best ways to ensure fitness and health throughout their life.
Workout routines vary depending on the age and capacity of an individual. Exercises have to match the body condition of every individual. As we all know, seniors are prone to having health conditions. In this case, they should not neglect these conditions for safety purposes.
Best exercises for seniors at home
Senior exercises at home are crucial. As adults become older, it won’t be easy to stay motivated to remain active. However, several low-impact exercises are still suitable for older adults. Please see them below:
- Walking: I believe this is the most straightforward workout anyone can do. Aside from that, seniors can do it indoors or outdoors, according to their preference for that day. However, it would be best that they walk with someone accompanying them.
- Leg raises: This exercise is another simple activity that the elderly can do at home. It is excellent in improving the strength in their legs as well as works with balance. Additionally, it works the whole leg and stretches the joints.
- Arm Raises: Older adults can either do this while sitting or standing. They also have the option to use small hand weights to improve their strength.
- Hand and finger exercises: Gripping an object can become challenging to individuals at their old age. Doing these exercises can increase strength and flexibility as well as prevent arthritis.
- Chair yoga: This exercise offers several impacts to the body. Overall, it improves muscle strength, mobility, balance, and flexibility. Being a low-impact exercise, it is less stressful as well.
- Tai Chi: These exercises are meditative and low-impact. Older adults can even follow simple videos on YouTube to keep them physically active.
- Cycling: It is an excellent exercise to improve the cardiovascular system, which they can do either indoors or outdoors.
More exercises are available that would be beneficial for adults in their seniority. It would be best to know which activities will fit their needs. You may also look at this short video below to serve as your guide.
Benefits of exercise for seniors
Aging comes naturally. As a result, changes in the body can be pretty enormous. In this case, senior exercises at home are beneficial in so many ways. Aside from staying active, please see the other benefits an old individual can get by exercising.
Exercises improve balance to prevent fall-related injuries. Fall-related injuries are utterly common among seniors. As a result, a fall can be an emergency or can even cause their death. Regular exercising can improve healing at old age. Being inactive can make the body feel tired. Exercise can address this because it can activate the part of the body that releases endorphins. These chemicals fight stress hormones, promote better sleep, and keeps you lively and energetic. Furthermore, some exercises can help improve the function of the brain. According to studies, regularly exercising can help older adults reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. Cognitive health is also one of the essential factors that we have to maintain as we age. Besides that, exercising is also an excellent way to improve mood and reduce the symptoms of depression.
Being old doesn’t mean being inactive. It is a matter of choosing how to maintain an active lifestyle. In effect, fitness and health are not too far to achieve.
Safe exercising for seniors
As much as seniors need to exercise to stay active, there are still things that they need to put into consideration before proceeding. The elderly’s body is far way different from how it is during their younger years.
For this reason, it is best to do the following to ensure safety before jumping into any physical activity. Senior exercises at home are only beneficial when they’re safe.
- Consult your doctor and get a medical clearance before starting a workout routine. Based on your medical results, there can be activities that you should avoid.
- If you have pre-existing conditions, it can affect your workout. Moreover, you have to be extra careful and do not set aside your health concerns. Your workout routines should match the setup for your health conditions.
- Additionally, it is also significant to listen to what your body is telling you. If exercising causes difficulty in breathing, chest pains, or make you feel dizzy, it would be best to stop and consult your physician. Exercise should never be painful nor cause discomfort.
- The body still needs to adjust after being inactive for a while. For this reason, it would be best for the elderly to do exercises slowly and build up little by little.
- Make the workout routine fun and exciting to eliminate boredom.
Exercising is essential, but safety is still the utmost priority. You have to keep this in mind to continue exercising.
However, individuals at old age have to exert efforts to maintain an active body and continue a healthy living. Senior exercises at home are excellent options to achieve these fitness goals.
Moreover, you have to keep up your motivation at a high level to keep going. It would be best to focus on short-term goals, reward yourself, keep track of your activities, and find support. Having someone to encourage each other is a plus factor in moving further.
Age is just a number. Staying fit and healthy is another story. Plenty of healthy options are available to keep active and have excellent health conditions despite getting old. Senior exercises at home can make life still beautiful and at high quality without getting fed up with becoming an old pal.